transferring legs to and from a bed

Home Forums Moving people – techniques transferring legs to and from a bed

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I teach manual handling in a rest home facility. The issue outlined below has come up a few times and I am very concerned for the safety of our staff.
    We have a bariatic patient who has been assessed as rest home level so is mobilising with a walking frame. At rest home level of care hoists are seldom used.
    Hoever this person refused to lift her own legs onto and off the bed and expect the careworker to do this for her.
    I have recommended that they are not to do this and to use the full body hoist to settle this person on the bed and to encourage self help off the bed.
    Does anyone have any good ideas around this issue that could be adopted instead of using the hoist.

Hi Bev
    A slide sheet could help to move the person’s legs when getting out of bed. I assume she has a bed loop or lever.
    Getting the legs into bed is more difficult. Multifit has a powered leg lifter but I doubt the rest home would buy it for one person.
    A height adjustable bed would mean the bed could be lowered so the person did not need to lift her legs so high. Using 2 staff and a towel under the legs is an option but could be risky.
    The hoist sounds the safest especially if the person is not trying to help. I think there are some special hoist slings for lifting legs but they may only work with a ceiling host. Usually if people need a hoist regularly they are hospital level care.
    Kind regards
    Ann Newsom

Hi Bev

You can be manual leg lifter that are cheap and promote independence as they are designed for the person it use it themselves. Although I’m not sure if she would use it as she don’t seem very helpful. You can get just leg slings as well.

Angela

Yvonne Harris
    Participant

Hello Beverley,

Multifit have a very good leg lifter. You would have to check the safe working load for it however. If you can show that this person can remain at RH level of care and not need to escalate to PH, this is a saving to MoH. A leg lifter would be a customised piece of equipment and not be expected to be purchased by the Resthome. You may like to approach the NASC service if this person is under 65, or approach the usual OT service you would use. Best wishes.

Edward Bishop
    Participant

Thank you for your replies. I have tried using a slippery sam but her legs are too heavy. I have had her reassessed for hospital level care and there a hoist will be used. It is a tricky one and when expensive equipment is the only real solution and the facility are not prepared to purchase these.

Hi
    I was just going through my emails and saw one from Active Healthcare which showed a hoist sling being be used to lift a person’s legs up onto a bed. It looks as if it was a ceiling hoist. Its time Aged care facilities started to provide suitable equipment if they are going to have heavy or Bariatric residents . However it needs direction from MOH or ACC to make this happen.
    Regards
    Ann Newsom

agree with this wholeheartedly.
    We have a team meeting early next month on bariatric issues and I will be presenting issues that I have encountered including staffing levels as well as equipment lacks
    Bev

Eleanor Barrett
    Keymaster

Hi Bev.
    Would you be prepares to share your experiences with MHANZ as a presentation at the roadshow later this year – it would be an interesting discussion group perhaps to start exploring these issues. I am often saying when you look at the population walking round your local shopping mall – those are the people who will be using our services and entering hospital/hospice/residential care type facilities and we need to start planning and advocating for the care staff to have the tools required so they are not injured when assisting.
    Please let me know if you would like to present (email me at treasurer@mhanz.org.nz) thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.