sit to stand – REALLY?!?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Gillm 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

Rebecca Washbourn
    Participant

have just had a look at the june journal for SPHM. they had an ergonomic review of different chairs for sit to stand – which isnt usually my idea of interesting reading BUT i was gobsmacked at the demonstration picture for the assistant positioning. does ANYONE advocate moving like this??
    sorry i cant post the picture on the forum – but log in and have a look.

Angela Greetham
    Participant

I will have a look now Rebecca

Angela Greetham
    Participant

Just read the article and the pictures I agree look unsafe for the caregiver to take these positions. We do not teach these methods of moving patients from sitting to standing. But I would need to actually view this special chair to give an honest opinion.
    We use slide sheets and special moves around the hips and legs to help move patients to the front of the chair. Then 2 caregivers would assist to patient to stand according to the NZ 2012 Guidelines by crossing arms over the patients back and the other hand on the patients front chest.

Ann Newsom
    Participant

Yes I agree this does look like a non recommended transfer. However I agree we would need to look at the chair before we completely disregard it as unsafe.One of the problems in aged care is when residents become very heavy to sitt- stand from a chair but can still walk once standing. However it should be possible to avoid a pivot transfer as shown in the article
    Ann Newsom

Rebecca Washbourn
    Participant

i agree that the chair is likely a good way to reduce the ergonomic load for transfers – and is an alternative to needing to bring a patient forward in the chair, but still – we are not facilitating them to be able to walk if we are in front of them!
    anyone keen to write a letter to the editor to review transfer positioning? could be a great topic for a student project!

Gillm
    Participant

Finally managed to access the journal article! The photos do not seem to replicate the normal pattern of sit to stand and I agree the carer is impeding movement forward.I would certainly not perform this technique. I agree we need more information regarding the chair.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.