Seated positioning system

Home Forums Equipment Ideas and Challenges Seated positioning system

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hi Does anyone have a suitable piece of equipment to easily enable staff to reposition residents back in lazyboy type chairs in care facilites. I have checked out the seated positioning systems but cannot seem to see where they are available in NZ. The long handles and one way slide look like they might do the trick but always good to know what has been trialled before recommending a purchase.

SMChidgey
    Participant

Hi Katherine I have a product that might be suitable I have trialled this in the hospital setting and can send you some information if you send your email address.
    Thanks Sarah Chidgey

Thanks Sarah address is ksmithphysio@gmail.com

Re Seated positioning System There is a product called the Prevalon Seated Positioning system made By Sage products. It was recommended by Guy Fragala at one of the Roadshows. USL used to have it . I trialled it in a lazyboy chair at an Aged Care facility and it worked well. Kind regards
    Ann Newsom

Thanks Ann

Ellen
    Participant

Hi Katherine, this is definitely a big thing in Aged Care isn’t it? Repositioning a resident who is sliding… I have been putting a lot of effort into choosing the right chair for our residents- in particular having their feet supported, plus trying as much as possible to have the correct seat depth for the resident, plus a tilt-in-space function if possible. This is a challenge but prevents sliding in most cases. However, as hard as we try often with cognitive issues, agitation, limited availability of suitable chairs etc residents might still slide. I have tried a couple of the systems with handles just with others in the office, but I find them quite challenging myself. If that is the case the HCAs in the Homes are going to struggle with them too. I do have a couple of the Prevalon system- I might need to trial these in an actual home and let you know. These are more aimed at preventing sliding down than repositioning.
    I guess what I am saying is that minimisation of sliding down is key and correct seating is part of that. There are some excellent therapeutic chairs around these days; if your facility or resident/family is in a position to purchase: Arjo, USL and WS Medical have options that provide foot support and tilt-in-space. Worth looking into 🙂
    Sarah- I would love to receive the information on your product too! My email address is ellen.vandijken@psc.org.nz.
    Thanks!
    Ellen

Thanks Ellen will investigate

Totally agree with the above post from Ellen. If one can avoid and prevent the slide then it’s a win.

The Vela chair from Morton&Perry might be of interest to the people posting here. Its for the more active client but one who finds a regular dining type chair unhelpful for sitting. One needs support and good friction (thighs, lateral trunk, tilt) to assist an upright and active posture, the traditional table chair is just useless on this front once body tone is diminished. Tilt both posterior and anterior. Elevate for foot positioning, adjustable arms that are low enough to go under tables or flip away, excellent well fitting back and thigh support etc. The Vela chair can give people the ability to engage in activities and meals where a ordinary or large positioning chair cant. Please let me know if you would like more info. I think these might fit a need not yet explored in NZ, I’ve had good success with these chairs for all sorts of people.

http://www.mortonperry.co.nz/indoor-activity-chairs_1.html

On the, we tried everything but just cant prevent the sliding… we offer this solution. The one way glides. Use with caution, one must take steps to mitigate shear (Educate staff on the dangers of shear and use of a glide glove to allow the skin on the bottom to “release” once repositioned) but they can be very good.

https://www.etac.com/en-gb/products/manual-transfer/positioning-sitting/immedia-onewayglide/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.