Review of clinical moving and handling training

Home Forums Training in the workplace Review of clinical moving and handling training

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi All,

I have been asked to collate what other organisations and DHB’s across NZ offer for clinical staff moving and handling training .
    Our program at WDHB is based on the ACC guidelines with a 1:6 ratio, we offer a full day, every 2 years and mandatory for evey new staff member.
    I would like to continue this model at this time but would appreciate if you could let me know what the set up is at your organisation.

Thanks Michelle

Libby Archer

Hi Michelle
    I work for MySkill and we are the training partner of NZ Health Group
    We deliver moving and handling to our community based staff by online eLearning and assessment, followed by a 4hr practical workshop. It meets the requirements of an NZQA unit standard so any support worker staff who attend can receive credits towards their NZQA Level 3 qualification.
    Nga mihi
    Libby

Lynda Kirkman
    Participant

Hi Michelle

I see that time has flown by and there was not a lot of response in this forum. I would like to participate in a chat with other trainers to ensure that the content that I am delivery is still up-to-date and meeting legal requirements. I work for Laura Fergusson Trust Wellington and this year provided training to support staff at LFT Whanganui. I am physio and have been providing MH training off and on for about 40 years. I have been the sole trainer at LFT Wellington since 2011. I am asked to provide annual training to about 75 staff over several sessions with groups of about 6-12. I am allowed 3 hours to provide MH training for support staff and about 90 minutes for non-clinical staff like cleaners, maintenance and admin staff. My current projects are to initiate Manual Handling Champions who are supported by Allied Health and management to work with residents and supports staff to reduce our level of absenteeism due to injury; and as I am employed for 12 hours per week, so my time is very carefully managed, so making ‘micro-training” available to meet with a resident, their key worker and possible one of our RNs to problem solve. What is the best forum? I will also take this question to the Southern regional group in the hope that when we are less time poor, we can share our thoughts.

noho ora mai
    Lynda

Marissa Cope
    Participant

Hi all,

I started last year at Taranaki DHB as Moving and Handling Coordinator. We haven’t had a training programme in over 5 years with the Physio’s taking on some informal periodic training and nurse educators training only on slide sheet use. We go approved for Champion training which we are running with Kate from Stay Safe in May (postponed twice due to COVID). I have updated all our policies and developed our procedures from scratch so would be keen to chat to other established programme leaders on what is working for them. We are introducing practical moving and handling sessions into nurse/HCA orientation days and competency assessment which will be signed off mostly at orientation day but then ward specific equipment will be reviewed by the ward moving and handling champion. I am struggling to plan our existing staff refreshers and also getting them to start using slide sheets.

If anyone keen to touch base or let me know of any regional meeting my email is marissa.cope@tdhb.org.nz 0212991161

Marissa Cope
    Moving and Handling Coordinator
    NZROT

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.