Mandatory Training

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Leona Birss 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Hi Everyone

I have a question for people in the South Island. Is Moving and Handling training mandatory or just highly recommended in your workplace ?

Thanks
    Angela

EloiseB
    Participant

Hi, annual moving & handling training is mandatory in our workplace. We have two levels – online & practical. Workers are required to do on alternate years.

Ann Newsom
    Participant

I work in an aged care facility and there is one hour annual mandatory manual handling training for clinical and non clinical staff This is given by the physio.
    In addition new care staff receive moving and handling training as part of their orientation This is given by a senior carer /champion who receives regular training updates. Any new staff with no experience are seen by the physio for advice on posture when moving people and equipment
    Regards
    Ann Newsom

Joanna Hegarty
    Participant

Hi

I work in 3 Aged Care facilities and they all have mandatory moving and handling reviews annually.

Leona Birss
    Participant

Hi all,
    Has anyone seen a shift in making manual handling training mandatory in the workplace since the new WORKSAFE May 2018 “Moving and Handling People in The Healthcare Industry” guidance for PCBUs was published? Is it widely known that this document is available?

Ann Newsom
    Participant

Hi leona
    I have not seen this Worksafe publication in the Aged care facility where I work.I don’t think it has been widely distributed. I will contact Worksafe and ask for a copy Maybe they will distribute it at the mhanz roadshow
    Ann Newsom Physiotherapist

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your comments, I have noticed that most responses are from Aged care facilities which is great. What about DHB’s in the South Island? Our moving and handling was mandatory, then they removed alot of our mandatory training to highly recommended and moving and handling was one of them. I’m trying to get it back to being mandatory but have been told that alot of DHB’s in the south island are now removing it from madatory and would like to know if this is true? I think this is a huge step backwards and there is also been less attendance since they have done this expect for our Aged care facility who still have it as mandatory.

Thanks
    Angela

Leona Birss
    Participant

Hi Im not sure how to paste a link into this forum but here is the address to access the document I was referring to.
    I think it has some solid answers for you Angela if you have a read through.

Regards
    Leona
    https://worksafe.govt.nz/topic-and-industry/health-and-safety-in-healthcare/moving-and-handling-people-in-the-healthcare-industry/

Hi leona

Thanks I have already read this when it first came out and have refered to it often since.

Angela

Anne McMahon
    Participant

Hi Angela and Leona
    The information on the Worksafe is a cut and paste from the original 2012 document and this is far more detailed and robuts. You can find it at the end of that section or here is the link https://www.acc.co.nz/assets/provider/acc6075-moving-and-handling-people-guidelines.pdf
    Thanks
    Anne

Anne McMahon
    Participant

Hi Angela and Leona
    The information on the Worksafe is a cut and paste from the original 2012 document and this is far more detailed and robust. You can find it at the end of that section or here is the link https://www.acc.co.nz/assets/provider/acc6075-moving-and-handling-people-guidelines.pdf
    Thanks
    Anne

Angela Greetham
    Participant

Hi Angela,
    Moving and handling training is mandantory at the BOPDHB north island. Every 2 years. The staff has to complete an e-learning module as a prerequisite before they can apply to do the refresher training which is 3.5 hours the e-learning is 30mins.
    Thanks,
    Angela Greetham

Leona Birss
    Participant

Hi Angela,
    It sounds like a really good way to introduce the idea before delivering the practical training, is the e learning something that you have created yourselves or is something that can be purchased?
    Thanks
    Leona Birss

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.