Christchurch group

Home Forums General Chat Christchurch group

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jessie Snowdon
    Participant

Hi everyone – we have a Christchurch MHANZ meeting tomorrow (thursday) at Burwood looking at in bed systems. If you have not had an email about this and would like to come, or be on the christchurch email list please let me know jessie@onthegophysio.co.nz.

Jessie Snowdon
    Participant

Hi everyone – just letting you know that the Christchurch/Canterbury MHANZ group is meeting on zoom tomorrow night (tuesday 25th August). If you would like to be included in this and live in the Canterbury region please email me jessie@onthegophysio.co.nz.

thanks

Jessie Snowdon
    Participant

Hi Christchurch/Canterbury folk, we have just had a 30 minute zoom meeting and have decided for this year we will invite the major supplies to host us in turn and show us their wares! We will also use the time to discuss upcoming issues. We will generally be meeting on a Wednesday or Thursday at 1pm and aiming for 4 meetings this year. At our first one we will also be playing with getting an unconscious/acutely unwell person from chair to floor. If you would like to be on our local email list please let me know at jessie@onthegophysio.co.nz.

Eleanor Barrett
    Keymaster

Good luck Jessie, We try this at Introduction day at CCDHB and we use a mannequin to move the person to the floor.   This is not quite realistic but the closest we can get without hurting a person!. I have personally mastered the art of being the patient for my educators to demonstrate  a one person moving the patient to the floor.

We have also worked out that when the 2 staff kneeling on the floor pull the person off the chair to sitting, and the 3rd  staff holding the head does a forward lunge move. Then push the patient towards the person holding the head, they lower this to the floor, and then are in a position to manage the airway, and the kneeling staff is in the correct place to start CPR. Hard to describe in words – its the  one thing I want to try to have a one take video off as the part of CPR training that is often not included.

Happy to try to do a zoom call and show you what I mean it that is easier.

Angela Greetham
    Keymaster

We do the same at BOPDHB but as a matter on interest if the patient is in a chair and looks difficult to move 3 staff can slide the chair backwards to the floor with someone supporting the patients head and then pull the chair away from the patient while supporting the patients shoulders and commence CPR kind regards Angela.

Jessie Snowdon
    Participant

Eleanor Barrett and Angela Greetham – would LOVE to see a video of this – even just a quickie filmed on your phone. As an aside I didn’t get a notification that you had replied – will let Rebecca know. Could also be a good topic for our next national MHANZ meet up.
    Everyone else – we have confirmed the next Canterbury MHANZ day will be at the Cubro show room on 15th April 2021. If you would like to attend please email me so we know numbers jessie@onthegophysio.co.nz.

thanks!

Jessie Snowdon
    Participant

After a long gap we had a great meeting in Christchurch last week. We have doubled in size as we now have the DHB moving and handling team as part of MHANZ which is a fabulous addition. We shared a lot of workplace issues and have a couple of questions for the forum.
    ONE
    What do your DHB morgues use to lift bodies up and off trolleys?

TWO
    Anyone use flexislide in theater? https://globalmedics.co.nz/flexislide-patient-transfer-sheet.html We are interested to know if it is used a lot and what people think of it. We found that it needed a PAT slide to work well depending on the surfaces that people were being transferred to and from. We thought it had no advantage over using a bed sheet on a PAT slide EXCEPT that if using a bed sheet to slide then you are effectively using linen as a transfer aid and with no Safe Working Limit that had it’s own issues.

THREE
    Using Stryker trolleys in ER/ED that hoists can’t fit under – how do you transfer a person from a wheelchair onto the trolley? We thought you could hoist them onto a different bed and then do a lateral transfer (but you need to have spare beds around….) or a gantry hoist that could be moved into place (but you need to have a moveable gantry hoist hanging around!).

LOVE to hear your thoughts or experience!
    thanks everyone

Marissa Cope
    Participant

Hi,

Marissa here from TDHB. I have just done an incident investigation for our morgue due to a back injury suffered by one of our orderlies. We use disposable slide sheets to move from bed to trolley but in this instance not enough staff (only 2 – one at head end and one at feet) and a larger bariatric client. Looking to introduce additional staff into current protocol (which isn’t written down) and also consider disposable hover matts for bariatric patients. Have only been in role since September and a new role to DHB.

We have same issue in theatre where they use sheets with pat slide or if sheets soiled a roller.
    As to issue 3 our hoists fit under our trolley’s but as we don’t currently have a hoist in ED I doubt they are using them.
    Lots of things to solve here !

Marissa Cope
    Moving and Handling Coordinator
    TDHB
    marissa.cope@tdhb.org.nz

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.