Bariatric Toilet Aged Care

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Eleanor Barrett 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Ellen
    Participant

Hello all,
    I work for an Aged Care provider and one of our Homes is building two bariatric rooms with ensuites. They are struggling to decide on the actual toilet bowls to install- they want a ceramic bowl (not stainless steel), but the ‘property people’ also are not too aware of other considerations around toileting, i.e. accommodating the gluteal shelf. Do any of you have any suggestions/ considerations around bariatric toilets and toileting bariatric residents?
    Thank you!
    Ellen

Hi Ellen

When SCDHB was looking into transforming one of our room into a two bed bariatric room and bathroom, they went to Burwood hospital. This was before I started working there but I know that those that went found it very helpful. I’m not sure where you are based but I would suggest that your company have to a look and talk to a hospital or another Aged care that has already done this as there are heaps of different things that you need to consider and they will often tell you the mistakes that they made which can help you avoid making the same ones.

Angela

Ellen
    Participant

Thank you Angela,
    They did visit Burwood Hospital so that is great; I am not sure why they are not going for the same option as Burwood chose? I will check with them.

Our toilet just looks like a normal toilet but is a bariatric toilet. I will check and see if I can find out anymore information about the toilet.
    R u getting a ceiling hoist that goes into the bathroom? Our ceiling hoist went in before the toilet and when we had training the other day with the ceiling hoist we realise that ceiling hoist does not sit centre with the toilet, which makes it pointless. We r getting this fixed. So that something to make sure of when they both go in.

Ellen
    Participant

Thank you Angela. It would be great if you could find out what you are using. I think they are happy to go with the option Burwood is using but they wanted to see what other options are out there. Yes the ceiling hoist is going into the bathroom- I assume it is centered but will check after your story!!!

Hi Ellen

I’m just waiting to hear back about what toilet we when with, so will let you know soon. Another thing to make sure of is that the toilet isn’t too close to the back wall.

Angela

Eleanor Barrett

Hi Ellen,
    I think you in the wellington region so please come and visit me at Te Omanga hospice and have a look at our new bariatric rooms. my work email is eleanor.barrett@teomanga.org.nz if you are still interested and have not finished your rooms yet!
    Eleanor

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.