Reply To: Moving unresponsive patient from chair

Home Forums Moving people – techniques Moving unresponsive patient from chair Reply To: Moving unresponsive patient from chair

Eleanor Barrett
Keymaster

Thanks Jessie for reminding us. Our DHB bases their CPR on the UK resus council guidelines. I have since found a copy of this – an old out of date version had been loaded to our intranet and forgotten. These guidelines have an illustration of the best techniques to use for staff safety.
We have introduced a non-responsive patient in a waiting room as a scenario at the end of the Introduction to M&H day we are running for all new staff. It uses a mannequin and we get the team to do a risk assessment prior to starting and ask them to talk through how they can look after themself. Then we practice, as the mannequin does not mind being pulled to the floor over and again. We don’t bother with going to look for sheets/pillows etc as that is a time delay and the guidelines suggest it gets in the way more than helps. I am hoping later in the year to set up this as a scenario with my M&H educators and the CPR tutors. we will have one attempt with many cameras filming and they can pull me to the floor once only so we can use this for training. Will keep you posted.