Reply To: Care giver kneeling on the floor

Home Forums Training in the workplace Care giver kneeling on the floor Reply To: Care giver kneeling on the floor

Anne McMahon
Participant

My preference would be either slide sheets under the calves to reduce the friction and allow the person to pull their own legs up or using a limb sling with a hoist. The staff shouldn’t be lifting legs, it is detrimental to their and the patient safety. If the person can’t get one leg up at a time (with these aids and the right positioning) I would be questioning their ability to stand and/or walk, do they need a hoist? The positioning of the patient and the bed is crucial. Lowering the bed to an optimal level, getting the patient to the right point of the mattress, putting the back of the bed up and using any handles the bed has built in e.g. hill rom has multiple points allowing the patient to safely assist in propelling themselves backwards. Then getting the person to sit back into the middle of the mattress and bring one leg up at a time. I think often this task doesn’t need assistance when the person is instructed correctly and given the time to do it.

Possibly the inability to get legs back onto a bed is the justification to have more automation, particularly in the home setting. A bed that is electrically height adjustable, a sit to stand aid allowing better positioning or even a ceiling hoist allowing limb assistance without making the floor space of a room unmanageable. If the patient cannot get their legs onto a bed they are likely to require some level of assistance for other tasks. The weight of legs, especially in the presentations mentioned, will be in excess of any kind of ‘safe’ load limit.