Reply To: Training for non-clinical staff

Home Forums Training in the workplace Training for non-clinical staff Reply To: Training for non-clinical staff

Hi Gillian

At SCDHB all our moving and handling is face to face. When I first started about 18mths ago we had only clinical moving and handling. Orderlies are classed as clinical as they have helped with transfers etc. Cleaners and kitchen staff are contractors so we don’t train them, but in past jobs I have and they are definitely an area that should have face to face and have some practical components in there as they are a high risk area for MSD. I started doing a generic moving and handling for non-clinical staff for about 6 months before deciding that its not really good enough. I now do separate moving and handling for areas and have found this to work best as you can make it more relevant to them, which I have listed below (may have miss an area).
– Maintenance
– Office staff
– Laundry
– Social workers etc.
– CSU
– Store/supplies
– NASC
I’m also now looking at doing a different one for district nurses (clinical) as their moving and handling is different again. Moving and handling is only highly recommended every two years. Some areas are happy to do it others (Maintenance) not so much but did attend.
Angela